Sunday 28 July 2013

Interview with Paul Koller, creator of Super Bread Box.


Being almost uncontrollably excited about the upcoming release of Super Bread Box, I made it my mission to track down the creator, Paul Koller, and to pick his brain in all matters gaming...


Anton MacArthur
Hi Paul, With the incoming Super Bread Box I would love to do an article/s.

Paul Koller
Sure, let me know...


Anton MacArthur
Cheers Paul. I am a massive fan of your work, I am really looking forward to your upcoming projects. 
What would you prefer, a casual Facebook chat interview or an email?

Paul Koller
I guess a chat interview is more interactive. Just fire away...

Anton MacArthur
Firstly thank you for taking the time to speak to me!
So lets start at the beginning... When did you first start coding and what format was it for?

Paul Koller
I guess I started somewhere in the 80s on family's C64. Only simple stuff in basic though. I remember some ugly half-baked attempts at text-adventures...

Anton MacArthur
What was it that inspired you to do that?
[to code and not just play]

Paul Koller
I guess having the power to tell a "machine" to do whatever you like it to do. And of course trying to make your own games! When you're a kid, gaming is very important, and trying to make your own sounds like the next best thing .

Anton MacArthur
So were you involved in any playground debates over which micro-computer was the best?

Paul Koller
Not really. Here in the Netherlands the only computer people had was a C64 or the relatively rare MSX brand of computers (no contest there which was the better computer ;)). 
For example, I never saw a speccy during my younger years. Only later Amigas and PCs became more common, which the Amiga (we had a 500 model) could win easily in the early 90s.

Anton MacArthur
You seem to have an unsurpassed ability to bring modern games to a 30 year old platform, games of note obviously include C64anabalt, VVVVV, and of course the upcoming Super Bread Box... this can't be as straight forward as simply creating an original game as there are expectations on how the game should be, What is your drive to do this?

Paul Koller
You missed a V there ;-)
 Several years ago I was kind of fed up with the big games on PC. I wanted to play more simple games like I used to do in my early years. What used to be called shareware or homebrew suddenly got a boost in quality around 2005 or so when indie-games started to emerge. These were small games, but nevertheless were full of interesting new gameplay ideas. A lot of these ideas didn't exist yet on older gaming platforms. At the same time I saw it as a technical challenge for myself to see if I could get these games running on a C64. 
I.E; To bring something new to such an old platform instead of churning out the 100th side-scrolling space-shooter...
Of course I will only try a conversion if I think it is feasible to get the core feeling of the game converted!

Anton MacArthur
So what are your thoughts on the current torrent of sequels the mainstream gaming culture is saturated with?

Paul Koller
Personally I don't even play the AAA titles anymore. They often feel more like an interactive movie than a game. Gaming has become such a multi-billion dollar industry that the big publishers can't afford to take any risks with new games. Therefore they just play safe with bringing out sequels. I think the real innovation is in the small studios.

Anton MacArthur
I whole heatedly agree! 
The next generation of consoles are making a big deal out of being 'indie friendly' ... do you feel this is due to the ever increasing costs you mentioned or simply to appeal to as many people/markets as possible?

Paul Koller
Indie-gaming is now also big enough that the next-generation of consoles cannot ignore them. You just want to make sure that games that everybody wants to play are available on your platform as well. I think both indie and AAA games can exist next to each other.

Anton MacArthur
Will you continue your work on the C64 in these changing times?

Paul Koller
For me coding on the C64 is just a hobby, and as long as I'm having fun with it, I'll continue...
And yes, there are still more then enough indie-games that are worthy (and possible) to convert to the C64.

Anton MacArthur
Do you have any in mind? Super Bread Box is due for release soon, What is your next challenge?

Paul Koller
I have already been working on a new project for some months now. It will be something never seen before on an 8bit machine! I'm still not 100% sure though whether it will work out the way I plan it, so I'm keeping it secret for the moment.

Anton MacArthur
Ooooh... mysterious!
My wife just told me to tell you C64anabalt is very addictive and appealed to her 'competitive spirit!'... shes not lying, I got punched a lot that night!

Paul Koller
I hope she doesn't hit too hard!

Anton MacArthur
She taught me to box dude, she hits hard enough.

Paul Koller
You're lucky with a wife that at least doesn't call the C64 that old-bleeping machine.

Anton MacArthur
She said much the same before playing C64anabalt.
Will we ever be seeing a Paul Koller coded title on other platforms?

Paul Koller
Since this is all only a hobby and my time is limited, I don't think so. The c64 is a platform with (to my opinion) the perfect mix of simplicity and capability. Having to start on another platform will certainly take significant time to get anywhere. But never say never...

Anton MacArthur
... 
OK last question...
If you could travel back in time and give your 10 year old self a single modern game - what would it be?

Paul Koller
Mmm, that's a difficult one. It would certainly be an indie-game. But there are so many titles to choose from. My kids (and my wife!) liked Machinarium a lot, so if family is something to go by I probably would have liked that one as well as a ten-year old boy.

Anton MacArthur
Thank you for your time Paul, I wish you every success with your coming release, I appreciate you taking time to chat to me!

Paul Koller
Sure, you're welcome. Talk later!

Download the demo of the upcoming C64 game Super Bread Box here.
If you would like to try out the original check out the Vlambeers's website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment